The Biochemistry Online – Free Online Lectures for Medical, Dental and Allied Health Sciences students by the Biochemistry Club.
Hormones of the Anterior Pituitary
Hypothalamus produces 2 types of endocrine factors
- Hypothalamic neuropeptides
- Hypothalamic releasing factors
- The releasing factors are neurosecretions synthesized in the hypothalamus and released through the hypothalamic pituitary portal circulation.
- They have their effect on the secretion of pituitary tropic hormones.
- Secretion of hormones by Adenohypophysis (Anterior Pituitary), is under control of peptides secreted by hypothalamus.
- These can be stimulants or inhibitors.
- Their secretion is also under the feedback control of anterior pituitary tropic hormones – short loop feedback as well as target glands hormones (long feedback loop).
* “A tropin or tropic hormone is the one which influences the activities of other endocrine glands”
- Principally those involved in stress and reproduction.
- These are carried by the blood to other target gland.
- The pituitary tropins are under the positive & negative control of peptide factors from hypothalamus.