Free Online Lectures of Biochemistry for Medical, Dental & Allied Health Sciences students by Biochemistry Club
- To classify the different types of vitamins.
- To know the functions of vitamins.
- To describe the nature and structures of vitamins.
- To explain the functions of vitamins.
- To identify the absorption, transport and storage of vitamins.
- To explain the deficiency manifestation of vitamins.
Vitamins – What are they?
- Vitamins are organic molecules that cannot be synthesized by man.
- These must be supplied in the diet or from dietary precursors.
- Dietary requirements are small hence deficiency states are common; excesses are rare.
Vitamins serve various functions. They serve as:
- Metabolic regulators etc.
- Vitamins contain no calories but involved in extracting energy from macro-nutrients.
- Vitamins may be defined as “Organic compounds occurring in small quantities in different natural foods and necessary for growth & maintenance of good health in human beings”.
- Vitamins are essential food factors, which are required for the proper utilization of the of food like carbohydrates, lipids and proteins.
- “A vitamin is a substance that makes you ill if you don’t eat it”.
All these lectures are organized and listed in detail in their proper sections. To view these lessons please visit the Vitamins Section. This can be approached by directly clicking the Biochemistry I button or it can also be approached from the drop down menu in Biochemistry I tab. Once you reach the section click the curriculum tab to view the full list in the section.
Any further questions or inquiries are welcome.