- The Paraventricular Nucleus (PVN), located in the anterior medial area of hypothalamus, is involved in oxytocin and vasopressin release from the pituitary.
- The Arcuate Nucleus (ARC) is involved in secretion of various pituitary releasing hormones.
- The Dorsomedial Hypothalamic nucleus (DMH) is involved in stimulating gastrointestinal activity.
- The Ventromedial Nucleus (VMN) is involved in satiety.
- The overall function of the hypothalamus is to link the CNS to the endocrine system via the pituitary gland (the hypophysis).
Hypothalamic & Pituitary Hormones
Hypothalamus produces 2 types of endocrine factor
- Hypothalamic neuropeptides
- Hypothalamic releasing factors